West Gate Freeway works this summer
We are moving into the next stage of the West Gate Freeway Upgrade between the Bolte Bridge and Power Street.
Non-stop construction works to widen the freeway will take place on the West Gate Freeway from 8pm on Monday 26 December 2016 to 5am on Friday 13 January 2017, while the roads are quieter over the holiday season.
To make the most of the quiet time and warm, dry weather, there will be a number of road works taking place across the network.
If you're heading away over summer, you will need to plan ahead as your trips in and out of the city, including to the airport, will be impacted.
- Heading towards the city on the West Gate Freeway, the Montague Street exit ramp will be closed for works. Detours will be in place via the Lorimer Street inbound exit ramp.
- Heading away from the city towards the West Gate Bridge or the Bolte Bridge, the West Gate Freeway will be reduced by one lane between Montague Street and the Kings Way outbound entry ramp.
- Inbound traffic will be delayed by up to 30 minutes during the morning peak, while outbound traffic can expect delays of up to 20 minutes during the afternoon peak.
Heading into the city
When travelling towards the city from the Bolte Bridge or West Gate Bridge drivers will notice that the inbound Montague Street exit ramp has been temporarily closed.
Drivers on the West Gate Freeway wishing to access Montague Street will be detoured via Lorimer Street. Drivers will need to stick to the left-hand lanes to access the detour when travelling over the West Gate Bridge into the city.
Drivers on the Bolte Bridge wishing to access Montague Street will not be impacted and will continue to use the Lorimer Street exit ramp.
All four inbound traffic lanes on the West Gate Freeway will remain open throughout these works.
Heading out of the city
When travelling away from the city towards the Bolte Bridge or West Gate Bridge drivers will notice changed traffic conditions on the West Gate Freeway between Montague Street and the Kings Way outbound entry ramp.
To set up a safe work zone for our crews, we will need to reduce a small section of the West Gate Freeway by one lane – the right lane – between Montague Street and the Kings Way outbound entry ramp.
Plan your travel
We are advertising all major work in advance. Details of all traffic impacts will be posted on the VicTraffic website and VicTraffic app.
There are a few things you can do to ease your trips in and out of the city, and to the airport.
- Before you get in the car: check the latest travel advice on the VicTraffic website or app, or on Twitter by searching #CTWidening or @VicTraffic
- While you're on the road, listen to radio traffic reports and look out for electronic road signs that will give you real-time travel advice and alternative routes.
On-road signage will advise motorists of recommended alternative routes and real-time traffic information where available.
Please drive safely through the work zones. Choose your lane early and stick to reduced speed limits. We know it only takes one incident to impact the network during peak periods.
West Gate Freeway summer works fact sheet PDF, 875.5 KB.
Bolte Bridge to West Gate Freeway Upgrade fact sheet PDF, 985.3 KB.
Bolte Bridge to West Gate Freeway Upgrade - September works update PDF, 616.4 KB
If you have any questions about the upgrades to the Bolte Bridge to West Gate Freeway connections contact us at 1300 783 947 (select option 1) or firstname.lastname@example.org.