Upcoming changes to Flemington Road14 February 2017
We're set to hit two major milestones when a new bridge and two extra ramp lanes are opened to traffic this month
From Saturday 25 February to the early hours of Monday 27 February, crews will work around the clock to carefully open the first new pieces of road that will help ease congestion and improve safety and traffic flow through the Flemington Road interchange.
Over a rapid weekend of non-stop activity, crews will open:
- A new 55-metre inbound two-lane bridge and shared-user path on Mount Alexander Road to connect drivers, cyclists and pedestrians to Flemington Road.
- Two new lanes on the inbound Flemington Road exit ramp to increase the number of lanes for drivers heading towards Flemington Road or Elliott Avenue from three to five lanes.
- Two new lanes on the inbound Flemington Road exit ramp to increase the number of lanes for drivers heading towards Boundary Road from one to two lanes.
- Upgraded traffic signals to safely manage traffic flow in the changed interchange environment.
If you're driving, riding or walking in the area on the morning of Monday 27 February, you can expect to see some big changes to how the interchange works:
- If you're heading towards the CBD or Elliott Avenue on Mount Alexander Road, you'll use a new inbound two-lane bridge to connect to Flemington Road. A new work zone will be set up on the two existing inbound Mount Alexander Road lanes.
- If you're exiting CityLink at the inbound Flemington Road exit ramp wanting to access Boundary Road, you'll use the two right lanes.
- If you're exiting CityLink at the inbound Flemington Road exit ramp wanting to access the CBD or Elliott Avenue, you'll use the five left lanes.
- CBD/Elliott Avenue and Boundary Road lanes on the ramp will be physically separated by barriers, so you'll need to choose your lane early when exiting CityLink.
- If you're using Lennon Street to access Boundary Road, you'll notice that this traffic movement has been permanently removed. You'll be able to turn left from Lennon Street onto the Flemington Road exit ramp only.
On-road signage will help guide drivers, cyclists and pedestrians safely through the changed interchange.
From late February to April, crews will work hard to complete the next stage of works, which includes installing the final layout of the interchange.
Crews will also be upgrading the two existing inbound lanes on Mount Alexander Road, laying asphalt and line marking throughout the interchange, and installing the final section of inbound on-road bike path along Flemington Road.
The Flemington Road interchange upgrade will be finished by mid-2017.
Stay up-to-dateSubscribe for updates
- Freeway closures this weekend 20 February 2017
- Check out our progress 14 February 2017
- Upcoming changes to Flemington Road 14 February 2017
- Plan ahead for nightly freeway closures 9 February 2017
- Supporting local sustainability initiatives 8 February 2017
- Green light for green spaces 8 February 2017