Switched on1 December 2017
Melbourne's first freeway to freeway ramp signals are now operating.
The CityLink Tulla Widening project reached an important milestone on 5 December when freeway to freeway ramp signalling was switched on where CityLink meets the West Gate Freeway.
In a similar way to traditional ramp metering, signals regulate traffic as it moves from CityLink onto the West Gate Freeway, resulting in fewer collisions and reduced congestion for all drivers.
The signals automatically switch on during periods of heavy traffic, collecting traffic data, volumes, and distances between cars to make it easier and faster to merge.
Drivers will enjoy fewer delays, safer freeway merging and a reduction in stop-start journeys, which currently cause frustration when heavy freeway traffic attempts to merge onto a different freeway.
This technology is being rolled out to a further eight freeway interchanges across Melbourne in the coming months.
Stay up-to-dateSubscribe for updates
- Freeway management system rollout continues 20 April 2018
- Extended closure of English Street inbound entry ramp 13 April 2018
- Bulla Road / Bell Street inbound exit closed for three nights 6 April 2018
- Extended Tullamarine Freeway overnight closures during Easter holidays 29 March 2018
- Freeway closures continue before break for Easter 26 March 2018
- Full freeway closures this weekend 19 March 2018