Switched on1 December 2017
Melbourne's first freeway to freeway ramp signals are now operating.
The CityLink Tulla Widening project reached an important milestone on 5 December when freeway to freeway ramp signalling was switched on where CityLink meets the West Gate Freeway.
In a similar way to traditional ramp metering, signals regulate traffic as it moves from CityLink onto the West Gate Freeway, resulting in fewer collisions and reduced congestion for all drivers.
The signals automatically switch on during periods of heavy traffic, collecting traffic data, volumes, and distances between cars to make it easier and faster to merge.
Drivers will enjoy fewer delays, safer freeway merging and a reduction in stop-start journeys, which currently cause frustration when heavy freeway traffic attempts to merge onto a different freeway.
This technology is being rolled out to a further eight freeway interchanges across Melbourne in the coming months.
Stay up-to-dateSubscribe for updates
- Full freeway closure and 50-hour ramp closure this weekend 14 August 2018
- Temporary changes to Melbourne Drive (Melbourne Airport) 19 July 2018
- Tullamarine Freeway closed outbound four nights this week 16 July 2018
- Full closure of Mickleham Road this weekend 5 July 2018
- English Street entry ramp closed all weekend 3 July 2018
- Weekend daytime freeway lane and ramp closures 28 June 2018