Switched on1 December 2017
Melbourne's first freeway to freeway ramp signals are now operating.
The CityLink Tulla Widening project reached an important milestone on 5 December when freeway to freeway ramp signalling was switched on where CityLink meets the West Gate Freeway.
In a similar way to traditional ramp metering, signals regulate traffic as it moves from CityLink onto the West Gate Freeway, resulting in fewer collisions and reduced congestion for all drivers.
The signals automatically switch on during periods of heavy traffic, collecting traffic data, volumes, and distances between cars to make it easier and faster to merge.
Drivers will enjoy fewer delays, safer freeway merging and a reduction in stop-start journeys, which currently cause frustration when heavy freeway traffic attempts to merge onto a different freeway.
This technology is being rolled out to a further eight freeway interchanges across Melbourne in the coming months.
Stay up-to-dateSubscribe for updates
- Tullamarine Freeway outbound closures every night this week 25 June 2018
- We've switched on the signals on the Calder Freeway entry ramps 20 June 2018
- Weekend of extended ramp and lane closures on Tulla Freeway and M80 Ring Road 5 June 2018
- Bulla Road shut Sunday to complete maintenance works 23 May 2018
- New M80 exit and extra lanes on the Tulla Freeway 27 April 2018
- Freeway management system rollout continues 20 April 2018