Pedestrian and cyclist access during English Street bridge closure21 December 2016
Access to and from Essendon Fields and Airport West will change between 3 and 25 January
While English Street bridge is closed in January, there will be changes to how pedestrians and cyclists travel between Airport West and Essendon Fields.
A shuttle bus will operate for pedestrians and people with disability. Cyclists are also welcome to board the bus with their bikes.
This service will run for 24 hours a day with extra services during the morning and afternoon peak times.
We'll be monitoring demand for the service and will increase the frequency if necessary.
The first service will run from 7am on Tuesday 3 January 2017.
The bus will stop at existing bus stops on Matthews Avenue located near tram stops 56 and 57 on the 59 tram route, at Westfield Airport West and at key locations in Essendon Fields, including the existing shuttle stop on English Street and two temporary stops near Auto Centro. These stops are outlined on the detour map.
We expect the bus to take between 15 to 25 minutes to travel between the bus stop located at the corner of Earl Street and Matthews Avenue to English Street.
Pedestrians should allow an additional 30 minutes to travel between Airport West and Essendon Fields on the shuttle bus during the bridge closure.
The shuttle bus will be signed 'English Street bridge pedestrian shuttle bus'.
Stay up-to-dateSubscribe for updates
- Freeway management system rollout continues 20 April 2018
- Extended closure of English Street inbound entry ramp 13 April 2018
- Bulla Road / Bell Street inbound exit closed for three nights 6 April 2018
- Extended Tullamarine Freeway overnight closures during Easter holidays 29 March 2018
- Freeway closures continue before break for Easter 26 March 2018
- Full freeway closures this weekend 19 March 2018