New lanes now open23 October 2017
You’ll have a better, safer run on CityLink and the West Gate Freeway with new lanes now open
From Wednesday, over 20 kilometres of extra lanes between Bulla Road and Power Street are opening early to improve trips in and out of the city for over 200,000 drivers each day.
This is a huge milestone for the project, with crews working over 3 million hours, mostly while everyone else is tucked up in bed at night, to build the new lanes, upgrade three key interchanges and install a state-of-the-art freeway management system to improve safety and traffic flow.
The new lanes will be progressively opened during a week of intense works:
- Wednesday 25 Oct: an extra lane inbound between Bulla Road and Flemington Road
- Thursday 26 Oct: an extra lane outbound between Flemington Road to Bulla Road
- Friday 27 Oct: an extra lane inbound on the West Gate Freeway between the Bolte Bridge and Power Street
Together, these new lanes will start to improve travel times and reduce congestion for drivers by adding more space where it’s needed most.
The new lanes will connect with almost 9 kilometres of additional lanes opened between Flemington Road and the West Gate Freeway earlier this year.
What to do if you break down
The team at CityLink knows accidents and breakdowns can be frustrating, which is why they've introduced a fleet of rapid response vehicles on CityLink to clear road incidents quickly and safely so that they can keep everyone moving.
Here's what to do if you break down in the newly upgraded section of CityLink:
- pull over to the side of the road if it's safe to do so
- stay in your vehicle and turn your hazard lights on
- we'll send a crew to help you.
CityLink's got you covered 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Lighting up the sound tube
In addition to opening new lanes, crews are busy installing and testing a new, sustainable LED lighting system on the CityLink sound tube that has a longer lifespan than regular lights.
When complete, the sound tube will join other famous Melbourne landmarks, such as the Bolte Bridge, in lighting up Melbourne.
There's still a lot of work to be done
There’s still lots of construction to go before the full benefits of the CityLink Tulla Widening project are achieved.
You can expect to see ongoing night works on CityLink between Bulla Road and Power Street as crews complete final resurfacing activities by early 2018, with upgrades on the Tullamarine Freeway between Melbourne Airport and Bulla Road to continue in 2018.
We’d like to thank drivers for your continued patience during roadworks, and for your efforts to keep our crews safe.
We look forward to wrapping up the entire CityLink Tulla Widening project in 2018.
Stay up-to-dateSubscribe for updates
- Freeway management system rollout continues 20 April 2018
- Extended closure of English Street inbound entry ramp 13 April 2018
- Bulla Road / Bell Street inbound exit closed for three nights 6 April 2018
- Extended Tullamarine Freeway overnight closures during Easter holidays 29 March 2018
- Freeway closures continue before break for Easter 26 March 2018
- Full freeway closures this weekend 19 March 2018