New lanes for Bolte Bridge1 December 2016
Line marking works to add an extra lane in both directions on the Bolte Bridge will begin next week
If you're a CityLink regular, you'll start to notice plenty of activity between the West Gate Freeway and Flemington Road as our crews begin line marking activities to add an extra lane in each direction and install new technology.
From 9pm on Monday 5 December, we'll start removing the existing line marking on the road to install the new four-lane arrangement on both sides of the freeway.
To minimise traffic impacts, we'll complete this work in small sections overnight and expect to be finished in a week, weather permitting.
Importantly, line marking activities will also include shifting the existing emergency lanes from the left to the right of the traffic lanes.
The fourth (right) lane will be used as an emergency lane until the project's new freeway management system is in place. This technology will allow us to remotely turn any lane into an emergency lane.
We'll also make full use of the extra space the fourth lane will create to set up safe work sites to complete various activities – including asphalting – so we can get the works done quickly as we can.
In addition to these changes, the following conditions will be in place to facilitate the works:
* Speed limit reduced to 80 km/h at all times
* Speed limit further reduced to either 60 km/h or 40 km/h during night time road works
We know that our works are impacting drivers and we thank you for your continued cooperation and patience with the frequent freeway, ramp and lane closures we're scheduling to complete on-road construction.
We're working as quickly and safely as possible to finish the job on time by early 2018.
Stay up-to-dateSubscribe for updates
- Freeway management system rollout continues 20 April 2018
- Extended closure of English Street inbound entry ramp 13 April 2018
- Bulla Road / Bell Street inbound exit closed for three nights 6 April 2018
- Extended Tullamarine Freeway overnight closures during Easter holidays 29 March 2018
- Freeway closures continue before break for Easter 26 March 2018
- Full freeway closures this weekend 19 March 2018