Melbourne Airport to Bulla Road
- one extra lane in each direction
- a major upgrade to the Mickleham Road interchange
- rebuilding of the English Street bridge
- new ramp signals to control the flow of traffic entering from the Calder Freeway.
Work began in May 2016 and is expected to be completed in mid-2018.
What to expect
We are placing safety barriers along the freeway to create a safe area for our teams to work in. This work area will be created by reducing lane widths and placing temporary yellow line markings.
The number of lanes on the freeway will be maintained during peak periods.
Following the installation of the safety barriers, we are reducing speed limits during construction. We encourage you to allow extra time for your journey in case of delays.
You can expect to see workers and vehicles accessing various sites along the project and the start of earthwork activities and trimming and clearing of vegetation.
At times, there will be traffic detours and lane, ramp and road closures. We'll advertise all detours and closures well in advance. You can also keep up-to-date with what's happening in your area on this website.
Why yellow lines?
We are using temporary yellow line markings to mark new lane arrangements, to show drivers they have entered a road work zone and to improve lane visibility making the area safer for both road users and workers.
Road users should obey the new yellow line markings.
We encourage you to take care as you adjust to the changed conditions on the freeway.
Upgrade to Mickleham Road interchange
We are upgrading the Mickleham Road interchange, adding:
- a dedicated lane from the Tullamarine Freeway to the M80 Ring Road
- a dedicated lane from Mickleham Road to the M80 Ring Road
- an extra lane for entering the Tullamarine Freeway city bound from Mickleham Road.
Reconstruction of English Street bridge
We are rebuilding the English Street bridge to cater for the widened Tullamarine Freeway and to improve access to Essendon Fields. The two pedestrian bridges at Vaughan and Earl Streets are also being removed and replaced to allow for the freeway widening underneath.
Calder Freeway ramp signals
A large volume of traffic on the Tullamarine Freeway flows from the Calder Freeway. Regulating this flow will allow us to reduce congestion both at the merge and on the freeways.
We are installing ramp signals at seven inbound entry ramps on the Calder Freeway. We'll also be widening some of the ramps. Find out more about what we're doing on the Calder Freeway.
- English Street bridge reconstruction PDF, 727.9 KB
- Mickleham Road interchange upgrade PDF, 476.3 KB
- Melrose Drive to Bulla Road, next stage of works PDF, 326.1 KB
If you have any questions about what's happening between Melbourne Airport and Bulla Road then please contact us on 1300 783 947 (select option 2) or email@example.com.