New separated road to Bell Street
We are building a separate two-lane road from the Calder-Tulla interchange to Bell Street. This will remove the need for freeway traffic to weave across to the Bell Street exit.
Why are improvements needed?
There are six conflicting movements on the approach to Bell Street. They occur at different speeds and all within a short distance:
- from the Calder Freeway to Bell Street
- from the Calder Freeway to CityLink
- from the Tullamarine Freeway to Bell Street
- from the Tullamarine Freeway to CityLink
- from Bulla Road to Bell Street
- from Bulla Road to CityLink.
These movements cause congestion and safety issues, especially at peak times.
How will it work?
The separated Bell Street road will remove many of the weaving and merging movements.
This diagram illustrates how the separated road will look and work:
- Drivers heading to Bell Street or Bulla Road exit the freeway earlier.
- Bell Street traffic travels on a separate road which runs under the Bulla Road bridge.
- From Bulla Road, drivers can choose to join the freeway or take the separated road to Bell Street.
- Reduced weaving and merging on the freeway will improve traffic flow through this area.
If you have any questions about the separated road to Bell Street then contact us on 1300 783 947 (select option 1) or firstname.lastname@example.org.