Bolte Bridge and West Gate Freeway
Bolte Bridge improvements
We’ve added an extra lane on the exit ramp from the Bolte Bridge to the Burnley Tunnel/south-eastern suburbs, changing how you exit the bridge.
The new lane on this exit connects to the new lane on the West Gate Freeway to the Burnley Tunnel.
Together, these improvements create space where it’s needed most, while reducing queues and accidents.
How it works
- Drivers heading towards the city on the Bolte Bridge and looking to access the Burnley Tunnel/south-eastern suburbs can use the two middle lanes. On-road signage will help guide you.
- There are no changes to exits for drivers heading to Lorimer Street/Kings Way or out west on the West Gate Freeway.
Don't forget to choose your lane early, stay alert, and be aware of changed traffic conditions, including reduced speed limits.
West Gate Freeway improvements
We've built an extra freeway lane and installed new technologies to help drivers merge more safely onto the freeway during peak times.
How it works
- Drivers heading towards the city on the West Gate Freeway and looking to access Montague Street can take the Kings Way exit and stay in the right lane. The Montague Street exit will be on the right. On-road signage will help guide you.
- If you miss the exit, you’ll need to continue on the freeway and exit at Power Street. Temporary on-road signage will be in place on Power Street to quickly guide you back to Montague Street.
- Drivers heading towards the city on the West Gate Freeway and looking to access Lorimer Street can take the changed Montague Street exit. Barriers will prevent direct access from the West Gate Freeway.
- Access to the Montague Street exit from the West Gate Freeway has permanently changed.
Drivers are reminded to stay alert and choose their lane early.
Improving your journey
Upgrades to the Bolte Bridge and the West Gate Freeway will help improve safety and traffic flow, and add capacity in one of Melbourne's busiest stretches of freeway, which carries around 200,000 vehicles daily.
These upgrades will help Melbourne move better and deliver more reliable and consistent travel times for drivers:
At the Bolte Bridge-West Gate Freeway interchange
- We’ve added an extra lane on the exit ramp from the Bolte Bridge to the West Gate Freeway, cutting queues on the Bolte Bridge.
From the Bolte Bridge-West Gate Freeway interchange to Power Street
- We’ve built an extra inbound lane on the West Gate Freeway from the Bolte Bridge to the Burnley Tunnel, adding space where it's needed to keep traffic flowing.
- Drivers entering the West Gate Freeway from the Bolte Bridge are now separated from those already travelling from the West Gate Bridge towards the tunnel, reducing merging and weaving which can cause crashes.
We’ve also installed a state-of-the-art freeway management system to further improve traffic flow and create a safer, smarter freeway.
If you have any questions about the upgrades to the Bolte Bridge to West Gate Freeway connections contact us at 1300 783 947 or email@example.com.