West Gate Freeway improvements
We're moving into a busy time on the West Gate Freeway, with crews moving into the final stage of works to build a new lane from the Bolte Bridge to Burnley Tunnel.
Access to the Montague Street exit from the West Gate Freeway has permanently changed.
These changes will help improve safety and traffic flow, ahead of opening the new lane in late 2017.
With crews working around the clock to get the job done as quickly and safely as possible, you can expect changed traffic conditions in the area throughout July.
Nightly lane and ramp closures and regular freeway closures will continue in the coming months. We will also close the Bolte Bridge to Burnley Tunnel exit ramp for a 24-hour period twice during July.
How it works
This map shows how West Gate Freeway drivers will access Montague Street from 13 July:
- If you're travelling towards the city on the West Gate Freeway and looking to access Montague Street, you need to take the Kings Way exit, and stay in the right lane. The Montague Street exit will be on the right. On-road signage will help guide you.
- If you miss the exit, you will need to continue on the freeway and exit at Power Street. This should only add a few extra minutes to your trip. Temporary on-road signage will be in place on Power Street to guide you back to Montague Street.
- If you're travelling towards the city on the West Gate Freeway and looking to access Lorimer Street, you need to take the changed Montague Street exit. Barriers will prevent direct access from the West Gate Freeway.
Don't forget to choose your lane early, stay alert, and be aware of changed traffic conditions, including reduced speed limits.
Bolte Bridge and West Gate Freeway improvements
Upgrades to the Bolte Bridge and the West Gate Freeway will help improve safety and traffic flow, and add capacity in one of Melbourne's busiest stretches of freeway, which carries around 200,000 vehicles daily.
These upgrades will help Melbourne move better and to provide more reliable and consistent travel times for drivers:
- At the Bolte Bridge-West Gate Freeway interchange
- An extra lane is being added on the exit ramp from the Bolte Bridge to the West Gate Freeway, cutting queues on the Bolte Bridge.
- From the Bolte Bridge-West Gate Freeway interchange to Power Street
- An extra lane is being built inbound on the West Gate Freeway from the Bolte Bridge to the Burnley Tunnel, adding space where it's needed to keep traffic flowing.
- Drivers entering the West Gate Freeway from the Bolte Bridge will be physically separated from those already travelling from the West Gate Bridge towards the Tunnel to reduce merging and weaving which can cause crashes.
We are also installing a state-of-the-art freeway management system to further improve traffic flow and create a safer, smarter freeway.
When these upgrades are finished in late 2017, drivers will see more consistent and reliable travel times, reducing frustration for drivers currently experiencing vastly different travel times from one day to the next.
Keeping the community informed
We are advertising all major work in advance. Details of all traffic impacts are posted on this website and on the @citylinkmelb and @vicroads Twitter accounts. You can also follow us on Instagram @ctwidening.
On-road signage will advise drivers of recommended alternative routes and real-time traffic information where available.
- Bolte Bridge to West Gate Freeway Upgrade fact sheet PDF, 985.3 KB.
- Bolte Bridge to West Gate Freeway Upgrade - September works update PDF, 616.4 KB
If you have any questions about the upgrades to the Bolte Bridge to West Gate Freeway connections contact us at 1300 783 947 (select option 1) or email@example.com.